Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Big Ideas

My crafty friend, Fiona, suggested I use rice paper to print out patterns on.  I guess it is a lighter weight paper, but heavier than tracing paper.  I found some on Dick Blick and also found colored pencils and crayons.  That brings me to my next big idea.  I've been reading tutorials and discussions about doing shadings on light colored fabric with colored pencils or crayons and then ironing them so the colors blend well.  You need a hot iron on Cotton. After shading you then embroider.  Here is a beautiful one done with colored pencils by Sew Lovely Embroidery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sewlovely/4647711421/

Here is a tutorial at Urban Threads for using crayons to make adorable shaded pears: http://www.urbanthreads.com/pages?id=448

I want to try this shading some time.  I'm thinking of doing a pumpkin design for Halloween.  Haven't decided if I'll embroider it or embroider on paper.  I wonder if you could melt crayons into paper...

4 comments:

  1. Yes, you can melt crayons into paper. But depending upon the thickness of the wax, it may take on a transparent quality that you don't want, so experiment first, of course. :-)
    There are electric wax melters in catalogs that have little cups for different colors.
    One thing to consider is control of the shapes when melting wax.
    Just some thoughts, friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe colored pencil would work better. Like you said, DJ, experiment first! Thanks for commenting!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I totally want to try that coloring on cotton! How cool is that? Thanks for sharing, Anne. :)

    ReplyDelete