Pages

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sea Star/Starfish Project

I'm looking for a good lightweight paper I can print out embroidery designs on.  I'm using Sulky Solvy stabilizer right now, which you can dissolve with water.  It actually works better if you just rip it out from the threads, carefully, of course.  I tried tracing paper and regular copy paper, the first ripped too easily, the second was too heavy. Any ideas for something in between those two? Sulky Solvy is $8 plus tax for 12 sheets, so not very economical.

Here is the very start of a tote bag project for my best friend, Kari.  I guess this will have to be a secret blog, for awhile at least, cause I want to surprise her.  I printed out some free starfish stencil patterns on the Solvy paper.  I had to do it a couple times because I need paper around each starfish to hoop with the embroidery hoop.  Her nickname is Starfish.  I chose purple thread because it goes nicely with the hot pink. I think I'm just going to use stem stitch for all the starfish. I probably won't get started on this for awhile.

I just found out the proper name for a Starfish is Sea Star.  I like that too!

4 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing this one. I love starfish and stars! :D

    -Gingersnap

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sea Stars will look great. Bet they would look nice with some french knots on there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lin! I was just thinking an outline, but I love making french knots. Will have to see. :)

    ReplyDelete